Minolta Auto Focus FAQ
Original and Previous Maintainer: Eric Loyd, firstname.lastname@example.org
Current / HTML Maintainer: Chris Valentine, email@example.com
0 About this FAQ Updated: 25 Aug. 1998
- 0.1 Preface
- 0.2 Contributions
- 0.3 Distribution
- 0.4 Acknowledgements
- 0.5 History
1 Introduction NOT updated since 22 Aug. 1998
- 1.1 Where can I get this FAQ?
- 1.1.1 What is the Minolta Mailing List?
- 1.1.2 What is the Minolta User's Group?
- 1.2 How can I contact Minolta?
- 1.3 Other sources of information
2 35mm Camera Bodies Updated: 6 Sept. 2004
- 2.1 What's the difference between Maxxum and Dynax cameras?
- 2.2 What Maxxum cameras were/are there and when were they introduced?
- 2.3 Can you compare these cameras' features?
- 2.4 What is autofocus?
- 2.4.1 What is predictive AF?
- 2.4.2 What is continuous AF?
- 2.5 I'm a new/amateur photographer. What camera should I buy?
- 2.6 I'm a professional photographer. What camera should I buy?
- 2.7 Do any Maxxum cameras have mirror lock-up?
- 2.8 Do any Maxxum cameras have depth of field preview?
- 2.8.1 How can I do DOF preview on a non-DOF preview camera?
- 2.9 How do I do multiple exposures?
- 2.9.1 Poor man's multiple exposures
- 2.9.2 Multiple exposures on a 9000
- 2.9.3 Multiple exposures on a 9xi
- 2.9.4 Multiple exposures on a 600si
- 2.9.5 Multiple exposures on a 700si
- 2.9.6 Multiple exposures on a 800si
- 2.9.6 Multiple exposures on the Dynax 9
- 2.10 What are program cards?
- 2.10.1 Cards on the 700si
- 2.11 What batteries should I use?
- 2.11.1 My 7000 refuses to work even with new batteries. What gives?
3 Lenses Updated: 6 Dec. 2000
- 3.1 Basic information about Minolta Maxxum lenses
- 3.1.1 What series Maxxum lenses are there?
- 3.1.2 What is the classic series?
- 3.1.3 What is the i series?
- 3.1.4 What is the xi series?
- 3.1.5 What is the power zoom lens?
- 3.1.6 What is the G series?
- 3.2 Who else makes Maxxum compatible lenses?
- 3.2.1 Tell me more about Sigma
- 3.2.2 Tell me more about Tamron
- 3.2.3 Tell me more about Tokina
- 3.2.4 What about the others?
- 3.3 What lenses does Minolta make?
- 3.4 What are teleconverters (or doublers)?
- 3.4.1 What about matched teleconverters?
- 3.5 Lens specification terms and acronyms
- 3.5.1 What does APO mean?
- 3.5.2 What does AD mean?
- 3.5.3 What does aspheric mean?
- 3.5.4 What is a circular aperture?
- 3.5.5 What is a floating element?
- 3.5.6 What is internal focussing?
- 3.5.7 What is multicoating?
- 3.6 Re-chipping G-series lenses
4 Flash Units Updated: 25 Aug. 2000
- 4.1 What does a flash _do_?
- 4.2 What is a guide number (GN)?
- 4.2.1 How do I determine my personal GN?
- 4.2.2 How does aperture affect my flash distance?
- 4.2.3 How does film speed affect my flash distance?
- 4.2.4 How does shutter speed affect my flash distance?
- 4.3 What is a hot shoe?
- 4.4 What is a dedicated flash?
- 4.4.1 What is a non-dedicated (manual) flash?
- 4.5 What is TTL flash metering?
- 4.6 So what flash units are there?
- 4.6.1 What about the pre-Maxxum flashes?
- 4.6.2 What about the ISO Maxxum flashes?
- 4.6.3 What about the iISO Maxxum flashes?
- 4.7 Summary of Compatability and Features
- 4.8 Battery Life with 5x00 Flashes and the EP-1
- 4.9 The DR-1000 Flash Meter Data Receiver
5 Accessories Updated: 19 Aug. 2000
- 5.1 Control Grip (CG-1000)
- 5.2 The IR-1n Remote Trigger
- 5.2 Battery Packs & Vertical Grips
- 5.2.1 Extended battery pack for 9xi
- 5.2.2 Extended battery pack / vertical grip for the 700si
- 5.2.3 What other cameras have the vertical grip?
- 5.3 Other optional backs
6 Tips and Tricks Updated: 24 Aug. 2003
- 6.1 How do I leave the Film Leader Out on my Maxxum/Dynax?
- 6.1.1 How do I leave the film leader out on my 9000?
- 6.2 Can I use non AF lenses on my Dynax/Maxxum body.
- 6.2.1 How to disable the lens mount check?
- 6.2.2 How do I mount a non AF lens?
- 6.3 Extension Tubes.
- 6.4 A Source of Special Adapters.
- 6.5 Making Your Own Remote Release Cable.
- 6.6 Replacement Manuals.
- 6.7 Custom Card Functions.
- 6.8 Portrait Card Settings.
Return to MUG Main Page (frames)